12/10/2017 Holiday Safety for Home
It is always a good idea to keep safety in mind during the holiday season. Here are a few tips for the home:
1. Always lock your doors and windows, even if you plan to be out for a short amount of time.
2. Leave lights turned on both inside and outside your residence after dark. Criminals do not like bright places.
3. If you plan on being away from home for several days, make arrangements to have someone pick up your mail and newspapers. An overstuffed mailbox is sure sign that no one is home and burglars are tempted to check those envelopes for holiday gifts. The use of automatic lights inside the home will give an appearance that someone is present.
4. Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
5. When setting up a Christmas tree or other holiday display, make sure doorways and passageways are clear inside your home.
6. Be sure your Christmas tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children, elderly persons or family pets cannot pull it over on themselves.
7. If you use lights on your Christmas tree ensure the wiring is not damaged or frayed. Frayed or damaged wiring may cause a fire.
8. If you are purchasing toys for small children, be sure that they are safe. You will be surprised what a small child can swallow or what can injure them.